The North of Tyne Area Prescribing Committee was established in January 2007 by the merging of the Newcastle Drug and Therapeutics Committee and the Northumberland and North Tyneside Drug and Therapeutics Committee. It was established to facilitate a cross-organisational approach to medicines management issues and clinical decision making which affect primary care, acute hospitals, mental health, learning disabilities and social care.
In January 2016, following the merger of Newcastle North and East, Newcastle West and Gateshead CCGs the committee has merged with Gateshead Medicines Management Committee.
The Area Prescribing Committee (APC) serves the following participating organisations:
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (NUTH)
- Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust (NTWT)
- Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (NHCT)
- NHS Northumberland Clinical Commissioning Group
- NHS North Tyneside Clinical Commissioning Group
- NHS Newcastle Gateshead CCG
- Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
Work is underway to consolidate existing guidelines and to merge the formularies. Until this work is complete, prescribers in the Gateshead area may also need to refer to GMMC and Gateshead Drug Formulary | NHS Gateshead